Friday, March 7, 2014

OW Vegan LOW CARB: "Fried" "Rice"

Author's Note: Original draft started 3/6/14

Before, I had been exposed to Lent as a time of sad restraint. I get the idea of distancing yourself from worldly things, but the sad part... It's not all sackcloth and ashes, hairshirts and whips. I can say that not because I'm an authority but because it just can't be.

I know. I also know that peanut butter and bananas are delicious together. Even peanuts (which are healthier) and bananas are scrumptious. One grows in a tree and one in the dirt, and thank God for the ingenuity to put the two together!

Then, this Lent, I read that-- the fasting portion, at least, is also about being healthy. That jives. Being sad for forty days isn't healthy. God wants you to be healthy. He's looking out for you like that.

This was the closest thing to unicorns eating broccoli that I could find.
I made this last night and had it with sauteed mushrooms:


182cal 17carb 9fat 12pro 15%iron (5% from the 1/2t and 2cal of thyme on the mushrooms-- Ladies, especially young women, thyme yourself up!)

This evening on the way home Alex said, "I need to stop by Catholic Best Friend's," who, with his wife without his children, is going to Israel, "so he can do superstitious things with my prayer rope."

"Like what?" I asked before I could stop myself. Mouth. Stop. Stop now.

"Like laying it on St. George's...." at which point my brain caught up with my mouth and my ears. I have no idea what else he said.

After some careful consideration, "For you or for him?"

"For me."

"Do I really need to know that?"

And we laughed. But... no, I didn't need to know that.

--and now I shall rub my lucky rabbit's foot. No. I do not own this.

--and now I shall daub my ickle wickle Kitteh onto my face as if she were a powder puff. She's not lucky, but she makes me feel better. She is the best behaved cat EVER. Putty. In. My. Hands. Ask the priest. He waved at her. AND SHE WAVED BACK!!!


Immediately from this, we began to discuss the idea of offering an OLLI course on Orthodoxy. Him enthusiastically, and me from a logistical  perspective: who? too burdensome? qualifications?

Pervasive much?

Tonight, I'm having leftover "Fried" "Rice" with shrimp. If vegetable oil is permitted on non-oil days, but olive oil is not because, I was told, olive oil is expensive, "Why then," I asked yesterday, "is shrimp okay throughout the fast?" I got a couple answers.

Back to today, as we entered the house after work, "I don't change my mind. You're just not willing to admit how nuanced it is," said by the Orthodox man.

Pervasive much? Yes.

Oh, they finally locked up my unwelcome visitor from Saturday before last. One down, a bajillion to go.

"Fried" "Rice"

  • 2c cauliflower florets (243g)
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced (33g)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (6g)
  • 4" big end of a carrot, cut into interesting shapes (47g)
  • 2 red bell peppers, sliced (78g)
  • 1/2" ginger root, cut into interesting shapes (7g)
  • 12oz silken tofu (336g)*
  • 1T Bragg's Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
  • 1t red pepper flake
  • 1/2c shelled edamame (40g)
Run the cauliflower through the food processor until it's particles are around the size of grains of rice.

In a non-stick skillet, sautee garlic, onion, ginger, and carrot. Once fragrant, add the cauliflower and silken tofu. Sautee, mixing thoroughly, until the tofu is also around the size of grains of rice. Continue sauteeing until all the contents are cooked to your liking. Add the Bragg's, pepper, and edamame. I read several recipes that called for vegetable broth, but as you can see, I had to let the existing liquid cook down:

Serving Size: 1c (180g)                               3.5 servings per recipe
102cal | 3.6fat | 11.8carb | 7.5protein | 3.1fiber | 254sodium Complete Nutrition Info

No comments:

Post a Comment