Saturday, August 24, 2013

OFFICIAL WIFE: Saints Freak Me Out

I got some recommendations on some Ortho books by Ortho women because I made a remark that everybody that was anybody had a beard. I've started on them. Go ahead and be scared.

Just take a moment; think about gremlins or something. Be scared. Now you can worry about upcoming OW Reads posts! (Don't really worry. Just plan to get the books. You have to read the entries alongside the books.)

NOOOooooooo!

Be.

Really.

Really.

Scared.

Anyway, it lead to thoughts and discussion(s) that have helped me understand better why saints (and by extension icons, which I just pretty much ignore at this point) freak my shit out.

[Sidenote: No words should be prohibited. You shouldn't be mean or ugly, but your vocabulary should not be limited. That's a dangerous road. I'm taking a stronger stance on that these days. Still hurts to do something that might result in someone yelling at me, but I'm goin' with it. Upcoming post with thoughts I hope you will consider.]

Short story with saints and icons: All the glory to God.

Fact#1: The saints are humble. --elsewise, they wouldn't be a saint, right?
Fact#2: Human beings only perform miracles through the grace of God. We do not have the power to perform miracles. Whatever good we do is due to God. He did create humans.

Conclusion: I am NOT COOL with praising people for what God did. The people that God worked through almost always (all instances that I've seen) are NOT COOL with people praising them for what God did. They also say the glory is for God.

*sigh* Figuring this out is really relieving. I was honestly just terrified. Terrified. Bad.


How do Orthos reconcile this? Don't know. I'm just glad I've got it right enough in my brain, for now. Understanding and acknowledging what I don't know--it seems like nothing, but I promise, understanding what you don't know is a thing.

I leave you with poetry---

I have eaten the plums that were in the icebox and which you were probably saving for breakfast Forgive me they were delicious so sweet and so cold - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15535#sthash.TSIfmflr.dpuf
This is just to say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

William Carlos Williams

Love and Ham/Cheese Bites (for selected few in a certain geographic area),

just the me that's got a might bit o' protestant left in me left leg

PS: Reading, thoughts, and discussion... You know that leads to dancin', right? So be careful, because you know what dancing leads to.

Aerobics.

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold
- See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15535#sthash.TSIfmflr.dpuf
I have eaten the plums that were in the icebox and which you were probably saving for breakfast Forgive me they were delicious so sweet and so cold - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15535#sthash.TSIfmflr.dpuf

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, the plums in the icebox poem is one of my favorites! Every word so perfectly placed. Only I never noticed what you pointed out about the capitalizations before. That is good to know, adds another dimension--

    " Understanding and acknowledging what I don't know--it seems like nothing, but I promise, understanding what you don't know is a thing."

    Yup. Lol.

    Look forward to the books by Ortho women blog series! I suppose you've got something by Frederica Matthews Green on the list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TWICE AS FAMOUS! :D

      I need to put down the Ortho lady books for about ten years. It's funny because it's irrational, but it's a real emotional response. I'm just going to send them on to church.

      Delete